Nov 30, 2012

Christmas List of Wonders

So after posting the Summer List of Wonders a few years ago, I figured a nice list was in order for the Christmas season. A list of all the things I want to do this season that I think would probably get forgotten if not written down somewhere. I guess it seems like Christmas flies right by sometimes and I say, "oh man I wish we could have done this, or that" or I talk to someone about their Christmas and I think "oh yes we would love to do something like that next year." Mostly though this time of year gets so hectic sometimes with the shopping and busyness so I figured a little list of all things old tradition, new tradition, and good times slowing down and having fun with wonderful people would be a good idea.

Trying to get ideas I googled the idea of a "Christmas To Do List" and apparently everyone and their mom had the same idea to make a list. Who knew? Some people are all about the planning and wrapping and getting things all organized, some are just really cute little printable lists. I don't care, I'm still making one... :)

Like this busy, organized one
Or this cute printable one

So here it goes. The Christmas List of Wonders. Let's see what we can do before the twenty-fifth.

(In no particular order. Maybe there should be an order, like priorities, but then it would be too much like work and not enough like Christmas...)



1. Watch some good Christmas Movies. Like the good ones: Elf, Miracle on 34th Street (the old one), A Charlie Brown Christmas, It's a Wonderful Life, Home Alone (both of them), and of course those cute little claymation movies like Rudolph. We already watched White Christmas so we're one step ahead in the Christmas musical department.

2. Attend a local Christmas play or concert. Lucky for us, our good little friend Jonah, will be Tiny Tim in the local playhouse's version of A Christmas Carol this year. I can't wait to see him on stage, or to see the play, and to support the local theater.

3. Drive around town checking out all the Christmas lights. This year we're on a mission to check out the local Santa Land. I drive past it every day on my way to work and on my way home. I've always wondered about what goes on inside the woods of the Santa Land drive through lights, and I've heard a few stories that have me even more intrigued. This year we're going, after we told Kyle's family about it at Thanksgiving they insisted we check it out and report back.


4. Host a Gingerbread Cookie Party (and not burn the cookies like last year). Really we've hosted a party or two every Christmas we've been married where we convince our friends to come over and decorate cookies with us. I love the excuse to eat way too many cookies.

5. Decorate the house: tree, lights, and all. Around the Hess house, sometimes the outside gets lights and the tree has always gone up. But I feel like I need to put it on the list so it's something we make sure to have fun doing.

6. Give. I want to figure out a good way to give this season. Time or money or whatever is needed. I'm not sure where or when yet. Maybe making something special for our 93-year-old neighbor, who knows?

7. Take Christmas Pictures! I want to get out the fancy camera and take some fancy pictures of me and Kyle. We don't really send out a bunch of cards or anything, but maybe I'll make a Christmas card on the blog or something...

8. Attend at least one Christmas party. We've got a few options already: the Sunday School Class party, the 2nd Annual Cookie Exchange. But we want to make sure to make it to at least one, or two... to be festive you know. And because I love Christmas cookies and party snack food.

9. Send a few Christmas letters or make a few Christmas calls. Catching up with some of the friends and family that are far away, reminding them about how much I love them or how funny I think they are.

10. Read the Christmas Story. Not the one about Ralphie and the leg lamp, but the one about Jesus. You know, the reason for the season. The story's in the Bible in the books of Luke and Matthew but most people tend to read the story in Luke because it's got the most details. Here's a link to the story if you want to read it, so you don't even have to look it up. It's an incredible story really, the savior of the world born outside of an inn with the cows and everything. That Mary sure was a trooper.

To be honest, we've already started the Christmas-ing. We're ready to host some of our Colorado friends this weekend, and we saw A Christmas Carol last night. That Jonah stole the show! Highly recommended, if you're in the area there is a show tonight (Friday), Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon at the Lake Country Playhouse (Select Theater) in Mineola!

Happy Christmas-ing!

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas! I hope you and Kyle have a fantastic December. You are off to a good start!
    Way to go! JH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Merry Christmas to you too! We'll have to let you know about the Santa Land lights!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...